Developed in the framework of the ARTES 3-4 Program of the European Space Agency in collaboration with the industrial partners SES ASTRA (Luxembourg) and Newtec (Belgium) and with institutional partners: UNDP (United Nations Development Programme), European Commission and International IDEA (NGO).
The project is dedicated to the development and management of a broadband satellite network to meet the needs of the Independent Electoral Commission (CEI) of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) regarding:
- The (safe) transmission of the electoral data (biometric data)
- The distance learning (eTraining Services)
- Community services (Capacity Building)
- eGov services
The project has developed the following applications:
- Election data transmission (EDT)
- Realization and management of a broadband network for the satellite (safe) transmission of biometric data relating to the Congolese electoral constituency (about 30 millions).
- ETraining activities (ETR)
- Production of training modules and management of distance educational activities through the access to the Administra Training platform.
- Capacity Building (CB)
- Extension of the services offered by the network to the neighboring communities through the access to Edutainment contents and to the Internet (Wi-Fi systems).
- Logistical support
In order to support the application development, the project has introduced the provision of a range of solutions to address the logistical problems that characterize the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Among these, the design, development and installation of the “Learning – Tele Centre” i.e., a prefabricated structure that can provide for solutions to the problems of installation, telecommunications, energy supply, security, drinking water supply and air conditioning especially in the most remote areas of the territory.